Two of the most powerful natural cleaning products in existence are found not in the cleaning aisle, but in the produce and baking departments. Lemons disinfect surfaces naturally, and their acidic pH helps dissolve grease, gunk and baked-on messes. Baking soda has gentle yet effective scrubbing power. Used alone or together, these two items can be used to clean everything from your oven to your shower walls an doors.
Sprinkle baking soda onto the surface that needs to be cleaned. Cut a lemon in half, and use the cut side to scrub the surfaces. Bonus: it eliminates odors, as well. This works on:
– Cutting boards
– Stovetops, including glass burners
– Bathroom surfaces
– Kitchen counters (except marble and slate)
– Inside the refrigerator
– Solid brass items
– Sinks, faucets and other fixtures
– Stained plastic food containers
Need tougher cleaning action? Here are a few more ways to utilize these two simple ingredients for a naturally clean, chemical-free home.
– Crusted-on foods inside oven: Mix two parts white vinegar to one part lemon juice and spray or sprinkle it onto the bottom of the oven. Let it sit for about five minutes, then sprinkle on a liberal amount of baking soda and leave for another ten minutes. Most of the mess will wipe right out without scrubbing.
– Tough soap scum: Use the cut lemon and baking soda trick above, but add some coarse salt for extra scrubbing power.
– Microwave mess: Simply microwave 3/4 cup of water plus three tablespoons lemon juice in a microwave-safe container until it boils. Don’t open the microwave door for ten minutes – let the steam do its job, then simply wipe it clean.
– Clogged drains: Pour baking soda down the drain and follow with lemon juice to clear a minor clog.